Below is a complete list of the 76 marathons and ultra marathons that Win has completed, including one in each of the 50 states and each of the 7 continents.  A marathon is 26.2 miles, and an ultra marathon is any run more than 26.2 miles.  A common ultra is 50K, approximately 31.2 miles.  


  Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Marathon Main Menu.   Go to End of List.















Portland Marathon

Portland, OR

Oct. 1, 2000


Lorrie Apel.  First is always exciting.  Well-organized.








Big Sur Marathon

Monterey, CA

April 29, 2001


Lorrie, Vicki Mitchell, Ralph DeKlotz.  Windy and beautiful.  Winís #2 state.


Portland Marathon

Portland, OR

Sept. 28, 2001


Vicki Mitchell, Ralph DeKlotz.  PR.  Well-organized.








Jesus Run 2002

Denver, CO

June 9, 2002


Lorrie.  Poorly organized.  First marathon after prostate cancer.  Some got lost!  Winís #3 state.


Portland Marathon

Portland, OR

Oct. 6, 2002


Lorrie, Trey and Jessica.  Jill Wellman ran.  Well-organized.


New York City Marathon


Nov. 3, 2002


Exciting.  Well-organized.  Winís #4 state.








San Diego Marathon

Carlsbad, CA

Jan. 19, 2003


Hot.  Very little ocean view.


Motorola Marathon

Austin, TX

Feb. 16, 2003


Lorrie Apel, and Kay and Brian Grant.  Negative split.  Almost PR.  Cool.  Well-organized.  Winís #5 state.  One of my favorites.


Spirit of St. Louis Marathon

St. Louis, MO

April 6, 2003


Peter Apel.  34į and sleet.  Long-sleeved shirt.  Winís #6 state.


Great Potato Marathon

Boise, ID

May 31, 2003


Lorrie Apel, Jolyn Post.  Hot + slow.


S.F. Marathon

S.F., CA

July 27, 2003


Lorrie, Trey, Jessica, Jodi.  Jodi Wellman ran also.  Surprisingly cool.  No sun till Mile 24.  Well-organized.  Not as hilly as some may think.


Mesa Falls Marathon

Ashton, ID

Aug. 23, 2003


Tom and Gail Greco.  Tom ran with Win.  Best Idaho marathon.  Small town very accommodating.  Gravel road first 10 miles.  Downhill first 17 miles, then 3 miles up, and remainder flat.


Top of Utah Marathon

Logan, UT

Sept. 20, 2003


Downhill first 17 miles.  Ten seconds off PR.  Cold.  Winís #8 state.


Chicago Marathon

Chicago, IL

Oct. 12, 2003


Lorrie & Peter Apel.  Crowded first 7-8 miles.  Huge.  Winís #9 state.


City of Trees Marathon

Boise, ID

Nov. 2, 2003


18į at start.  Coldest start of any marathon I ran.  Flat.


Jacksonville Marathon

Jacksonville, FL

Dec. 14, 2003


Dad attended and saw me at several points and the finish.  This the only marathon he saw me run.  Light rain entire race; good.  Slow but negative split.  Winís #10 state.








Rock N Roll Marathon

Phoenix, AZ

Jan. 11, 2004


Vicki and Ralph.  Very hot (75į) = very slow.  Winís #11 state.


Stowe Marathon

Stowe, VT

Sept. 12, 2004


Surprisingly hot.  One large hill.  Very slow.  Winís #12 state.


Twin Cities Marathon

Minneapolis, MN

Oct. 3, 2004


Very scenic for urban marathon.  Cool.  Well-organized.  Winís #13 state.


Philadelphia Marathon

Philadelphia, PA

Nov. 21, 2004


Ted Miller.  Eight seconds off negative split.  Excellent time.  Winís #14 state.








Mississippi Marathon

Clinton, MS

Jan. 15, 2005


Flat out and back along asphalt road.  Not scenic.  Winís 15th state.


Antarctica Marathon


Feb. 26, 2005


David & James Ross (first marathon for each), Jerry Seddon.  Muddy, rocky and cold, but absolutely marvelous.  Winís 2nd continent.    Photos.


Fin del Mundo Marathon

Ushuaia, Argentina

Mar. 6, 2005


Half on dirt/gravel park road; rest on paved city streets and roads.  Winís 3rd continent.  Photos.


NJ Marathon

Sandy Hook, NJ

April 17, 2005


Ted Miller, Lorrie Apel, Shelah Sterling.  Warm.  Entirely along Atlantic Ocean.  Winís 16th state. Photos.


Delaware Marathon

Wilmington, DE

May 15, 2005


Two laps along water and through industrial district.  Not scenic.  Winís 17th state.


Mad City Marathon

Madison, WI

May 29, 2005


Winís 18th state.


Mayorís Midnight Sun Marathon

Anchorage, AK

June 18, 2005


Light rain.  Cool.  Many miles on trail; rest on lighted traveled asphalt roads.  Winís 19th state.  Photos.


Fairlands Valley Challenge

Stevenage, UK

July 17, 2005


Loop.  Runners receive four pages of typed directions; course not marked.  Very different.  Fun, but long.  Got lost seven times.  Winís 4th continent.  Photos.


Silver State Marathon

Reno, NV

Aug. 21, 2005


Brian Apel, David & James Ross.  Brian ran half, David and James ran full.  Loop.  Warm.  Sparse.  Several miles on sand; rest road.  Winís 20th state.  Photos.


Dances with Dirt 50K        

Hell, MI

Sept. 10, 2005


David Ross.  Several loops, all different.  All in forest and rivers.  Wonderful.  Winís 21st state.  Photos.


Clarence Demar Marathon

Gilsum, NH

Sept. 25, 2005


Point-to-point.  Set out to do PR and did.  Not fun.  Winís 22nd state.  Photos.


Chicago Marathon

Chicago, IL

Oct. 9, 2005


Lorrie, Peter & Franny Apel.  Brian Apelís first marathon.  Very fun.  Always crowded at beginning.  Photos.


Baltimore Marathon

Baltimore, MD

Oct. 15, 2005


Lorrie.  Warm.  Not scenic, except Ft. Henry.  Winís 23rd state.  Photos.


City of Trees Marathon

Boise, ID

Nov. 6, 2005


Karen Nicholson, Laura Garrett.  Rain and cold.  Loop with a little out-and-back.  Flat.  Photos.


Seattle Marathon

Seattle, WA

Nov. 27, 2005


Lorrie Apel, David & James Ross.  Loop.  Rare excellent weather in 2005.  Dave was but finished.James also ran.38 degrees at beginning.Winís 24th state.  Photos.








Salem Lakeshore Frosty 50K

Winston-Salem, NC

Jan. 7, 2006


Dave Ross.  22 degrees at start.  Double out-and-back.  Flat, largely dirt road.  Winís 25th state.  Photos.


Marrakech Marathon

Marrakech, Morocco

Jan. 29, 2006


Lorrie Apel.  Not too hot.  Many Moroccans and French, few Americans.  About 50 degrees.  Loop.  Very flat.  Winís 5th continent.  Photos.


Loviní the Hills 50K Trail Run

Louisville, KY

Feb. 18, 2006


Dave Ross.  Winís 26th state.  CommentsPhotos.


Black Warrior 50K

Moulton, AL

Feb. 25, 2006


Dave Ross.  7000 vertical feet (3500í each way).  Inaugural run.  Winís 27th state.  Photos.


Bel Monte Endurance Run 50K

Charlottesville, VA

Mar. 25, 2006


Winís 28th state.  CommentsPhotos.


Trestle Valley Marathon

Minot, ND

April 29, 2006


Dave Ross.  Winís 29th state.  Very desolate run.  CommentsPhotos.


Twisted Ankle Trail Marathon

Summerville, GA

May 20, 2006


Winís 30th state.  CommentsPhotos.


North Olympic Discovery

Port Angeles, WA

June 11, 2006


Lorrie Apel, Kay Grant.


Okoboji Marathon

Okoboji, IA

July 15, 2006


Dave Ross.  Did not run for the month before this one, so took it easy to avoid plantar fasciitis.Was hot anyway.Dave stayed with me when he could have run faster.Winís 31st state.


Canadian Death Race

Grande Cache, Alberta

Aug. 5-6, 2006


Dave Ross.  Comments.  Photos.


Grizzly Marathon

Choteau, MT

Aug. 19, 2006


Brian Apel, Dave Ross.  Lots of gravel roads.Winís 32nd state.


Air Force Marathon

Dayton, OH

Sept. 16, 2006


Winís 33rd state.  Foggy for first half.  All on Air Force base.  All paved.Doing 4:30 marathon pace in fog and 50 degrees until sun came out at Mile 18.


Stump Jump 50K

Chattanooga, TN

Oct. 7, 2006


Dave Ross.  Winís 34th state.


Breakers Marathon

Newport, RI

Oct. 21, 2006


Dave Ross.  Winís 35th state.


Mystic Places Marathon

East Lyme, CT

Oct. 22, 2006


Winís 36th state.


Louisiana Trail 50K

Shreveport, LA

Nov. 18, 2006


Dave Ross.  Dave and Win tied for last place at 8th and 9th.Few runners!Winís 37th state.








Dubai Marathon


Jan. 12, 2007


Lorrie Apel.  Matthew and Deborah Cox.  Winís 6th continent.  Photos.  Only God got me through this marathon.See Comments.


White Sands Missile Range Bataan Memorial Death March


Mar. 25, 2007


Dave Ross.  Winís 38th state.  Many military personnel ran with back packs!  Warm.  Very emotional run.  Photos.


Oklahoma City Marathon


April 29, 2007


Dave Ross.  Winís 39th state.  Photos.


Deadwood-Michelson Trail Marathon

Deadwood, SD

June 3, 2007


Dave Ross.  Winís 40th state.  Photos.


Big Butt 50K

Lancaster, SC

July 21, 2007


Start was in front of race directorís house.   All paved roads.  Winís 41st state.  PhotosComments.


Grand Targhee Trail Marathon

Alta, WY

Sept. 1-3, 2007


Very hilly.  10,000 feet of vertical change.High altitude. Difficult.  Started at bottom of ski lift and went up.  Lorrie Apel.  Winís 42nd state.


Bohemian Alps 50K

Brainard, NE

Sept. 15, 2007


Dave Ross.  No Alps.  No Bohemians.  Nice run.  Winís 43rd state.  Photos.


Bar Harbor Marathon

Desert Island, ME

Oct. 14, 2007


Dave Ross.  Very scenic road run.  Winís 44th state.  Photos.


Tecumseh Trail Marathon

Bloomington, IN

Dec. 1, 2007


Winís 45th state.  PhotosComments.








Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run 50K 

Kansas City, KS

Feb. 9, 2008


Dave Ross.  Winís 46th state.  Great name.  Hardest 50K ever run and longest time.   Photos.


Little Rock Marathon


Mar. 2, 2008


Winís 47th state.  Photos.Comments.


Robie Creek

Boise, ID

April 19, 2008


Ran the Race to Robie Creek Half Marathon twice, finish to start and then start to finish.


Capon Valley 50K

Yellow Spring, WV

May 12, 2008


Winís 48th state.Rainy at beginning.Virtually no sun for most of run.Hills were moderate, maybe 5500' vertical change.   Photos.


Lake Youngs Ultra 28.8M

Renton, WA

June 14, 2008


Dave Ross.  Photos.       


Kilauea Volcano Marathon 

Volcano, HI

July 26, 2008


Winís 49th state.  Photos.


Portland Marathon

Portland, OR

Oct. 5, 2008


Running with Trey Apel, oldest son, on his first marathon.  Photos.


Boston Marathon

Boston, MA

April 20, 2009


Winís 50th state.  Immediate family was there: Lorrie, Trey, Peter and Brian, as well as both grandchildren.Cool but no rain.    Photos.    NPR Interview two days before Boston Marathon.  Fox News Interview after Boston Marathon.


Hump 50K

London Britain, PA

May 23, 2009


Trail 50K, actually about 34 miles.Finished tied for last.Got lost 6-7 times.  Photos.


Ridgway to Kane

Ridgway, PA

June 21, 2009


Highway.  All uphill.  Ran alone.


Bush Capital Marathon



July 25, 2009


Lorrie Apel.  Winís 7th and last continent.Trail marathon.Saw kangaroos along the trail.Cool.Very hilly.Walked almost all of last 10 miles.   Photos.


Honolulu Marathon

Honolulu, HI

Dec. 13, 2009


Dark first two hours.  Warm even then.








Watchung Winter Marathon

Springfield, NJ

Jan. 9, 2010


Only 2M from home!  Trail marathon through Watchung Reservation.Photos.


Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Marathon

Congers, NY

Aug. 24, 2010


Nine times around a lake in Rockland State Park.  On a Tuesday!  Three hours faster than #73.  Very flat.  Did 2:27 half marathon time, well on way to sub-5-hour marathon, but took three hours for last half.Weather was perfect: low 60s, slight mist at times, some wind, overcast, although it was windy.last 2-3 miles.Only marathon I ever did where aid stations included seaweed; maybe for the salt.


Hamptons Marathon

Long Island, NY

Oct. 2, 2010


On the very tip of Long Island.Photos.


Marine Corps Marathon

Wash., DC

Oct. 31, 2010


Rick MacDonaldís first marathon.  He beat Oprahís time o ten years earlier!This marathon was PR for me this year, which is good considering other two were not as hilly.2:30 half marathon.††† Started cool but warmed up.Hilly at beginning.Photos.


Return to Winís Marathons.

Return to Apel Home Page.


Comments on Runs

Loving the Hills, Feb. 18, 2006 Ė Louisville, KY

Most vertical feet ever done.  Maybe 14,000.  Hills so steep had to hold onto trees to maintain balance going down.  24 degree temp entire run.  Snowed.  Excellent food at aid stations.  Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Bel Monte Endurance Run 50K, Mar. 25, 2006 Ė Waynesboro, VA

Mar. 26, 2006, email:  At the moment I am sitting in the Richmond, VA, airport, having finished yesterday the 12,000 foot vertical change Bel Monte Endurance Run 50K near Waynesboro, VA, 25 miles west of Charlottesville, VA, somewhere near the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Dave, it was easier than the 14,000 foot change Loviní the Hills but much harder than the 7,000í Black Warrior, so the estimated 12,000í must have been about right.  My finishing time was in between those two also: 8:33.  I was actually dead last much of the run, but finished, I think, about sixth from the endópretty good for me.  Time limit was 10 hours, so that was not a problem.  I do not believe anyone was more than nine hours.


The terrain, though, was somewhat different from the four other ultras I have done, as essentially there were two giant climbs and two giant descents that made up most of the change in vertical feet.  It was not constant (and preferred) rolling hills.  Also, there were several miles of fairly flat dirt roads, but not at the beginning and end as at Black Warrior, but in the middle.  Also, most of the trails were very rugged, strewn with sharp rocks that could not be run but had to be walked (whether up, down or flat).  I tripped many times, and but fell only twice.  Both falls, though, were over roots, not rocks.  Good thing.  Those rocks could have done a lot of damage.  There was hardly a smooth dirt trail anywhere!  Fortunately, about 4-5Ē of snow had fallen the night before, and so that tended to soften the trail a bitóbut not much, and is severely softened one of my falls.


The predicted temperature in the area the day of the run was low of 35į and high of 45į.  Fat chance.  I walked out of the motel on Saturday morning, and it was snowing!  The car thermometer said 32į.  The day before was beautiful (as is today, Sunday)óbut not Saturday.  Of course, I was dressed in shorts and short-sleeved shirt!  I was half-smart, though, as I had packed in my bag a long-sleeved shirt (the shirt we got for the Seattle Marathon, Dave), which I immediately donned after parking at the race start.  For most of the race, that shirt was sufficient.  It was slightly warm going up the giant climbs, and rarely cold.  Needed different gloves, though, as my lightweight ones left my hands cold 30% of the time.  Tights would have been good also, as the snow formed ice on my thighs and knees during that part of the race when we were running into the wind and snow.  Also, my glasses were useless most of the time, ice forming on them as well.  Fortunately, almost every aid station (every 3-5 miles) had paper towels with which I cleaned my glasses, the glasses were then good for a few miles before I had to take them off and put them on the top of my head.  Since I am near-sighted, and was never looking far down the trail anyway, the rocks and roots immediately in front of me being the most important item in my sight, I did OK without them most of the time.


The Seattle Marathon shirt found me a running companionóDebbee Straub from Delaware, but formerly from Bremerton.  She and her husband both ran, but her husband finished in 7:08 and was long out of sight.  Debbee and I brought up the rear for a long while before we passed a few people at the end.  Her husband came back after finishing, met us about 2.5 miles from the end, and ran in with us from there.  Near the end, he took my camera, ran ahead, and took pictures of us crossing the finishing line.  Nice couple.  Both former Navy, Brian and Dave.  (Brian, there was also a father and son near the end of the pack with Debbee and me.  It reminded me that you and I ought to run a 50K together sometime.  How about Dec. 30 in Indiana with Dave and me?  We are planning to run a 50K that day in Huntington, IN.  That would fit your schedule perfectly, getting you back to Chicago just before classes start.  It is supposed to be an excellent ultra for first timers.  Check it out at


The aid stations were the usual excellent ones that we see at ultras: Gatorade, water, chicken noodle soup, pretzels, potato chips (salt was great), M&Ms, peanut butter sandwiches, chocolate, and more.  I took every hour my Succeed! as usual, but skipped the Tums.  Never had a bit of nausea this run.  Fantastic!  I think eating in moderation throughout the race is what works.  Not sure what I am going to do in regular marathons; maybe take a lot with me.  Fortunately, they will be shorter.  There were also a number of creek crossings, but nothing, Dave, like Dances with Dirt.  Instead, all could be crossed by stepping on the right rocks.  That was good, given the starting temperature of 32į and colder as we ascended the hills (no, mountains!).  Cold feet I did not have, and certainly did not want by getting them wet in a creek.  All in all, it was a good run.  The rocks and the huge climbs were probably the most distinguishing features.   Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Trestle Valley Marathon, April 29, 2006 Ė Minot, ND

May 13, 2006 email:  Dave Ross and I completed the Trestle Valley Marathon in Minot, ND, two weekends ago.  Only my second marathon this year after four ultras.  Fortunately, about 10 miles were dirt roads rather than asphalt.  If you are interested, there are some pictures of Trestle Valley at  The route was not very exciting: a few hills and lots of flat.  (After all, it IS North Dakota!)  However, and although only 63 marathoners were signed up, we met some great people from the 50 States Marathon Club and another who invited us to his home when we run one in his home state later this year.  The people in Minot were also great; very friendly and fantastic hosts.  In addition, the weather was perfect (fog for the first 10-15 miles, clouds the rest of the time, cool temperature), the course was well-marked, and there was no traffic.  (Again, it is North Dakota).  A good time was had by all.    Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Twisted Ankle Trail Marathon, May 20, 2006 Ė Summerville, GA

May 23, 2006 email:  Well, another run, another state.  This time Dave Ross and I ran the Twisted Ankle Trail Marathon May 20 in Summerville, GA.  Another time of the day and another time of the year would have been better.  Maybe another YEAR would have been better.  It started at a late 9 am, and finished at about 93 [maybe 87] degrees according to the Weather Service.  

About 150 runners started this trail marathon, and many seem to have dropped out--probably heat exhaustion.  Humidity was high, too.  It was downright miserable.  Nausea set in early for me, and nothing tasted good--neither food nor drink.  Dave had a better time with his food and liquid, including a very successful experiment with a back pack of iced tea, but had a major tumble and injured his shoulder.  All of my stumbles did not result in a fall (this time, anyway).  We finished together, but I was probably in worse shape, as Dave could have run faster and fartherónot me!

The trail itself was actually quite good.  Some forest single and double track, some Georgia red clay, some grass, and some gravel road.  Very, very steep hills, especially at the beginning, but manageable.  The total elevation change was about 12,000 feet.  Aid stations were frequent, and moderately stocked with food.  One even had ice and watermelon.

However, the weather was all hot, hot, hot!  The sun in the open was largely without wind, and the shade in the forest was equally without wind or breeze.  O where, o where is Antarctica, North Dakota, Alaska (and in Daveís case, the North Pole) when we need it?  Sometimes I thought of those running the Great Wall of China this same day; that should have been hot also.  (Mary, how was it this year?)  At other times all I could think of was lying in front of the AC back in the motel.  Finally did.  Fell asleep there for two hours after the run. 

In short, great trail runóin Dec.!  Remind me to never run anything again south of the Mason-Dixon Line between May 1 and Oct. 1.   Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Canadian Death Race

On Aug. 5-6, 2006 (yes, the run spanned two days!), Dave Ross and I (and many other friends, relatives and total strangers) had the ďpleasureĒ of running the Canadian Death Race in Grande Cache, Alberta, about a 4-5 hour drive west of Edmonton, Alberta, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.    The "race" is 125 km (about 77 miles) of some of the roughest terrain one will find anywhere.  Dave and I ran the marathon-length Leg 4 of the race.  Check out the Web site at, which has great elevation charts and which includes some of the following quotes:

"What the Hell is the Canadian Death Race Anyway?  Welcome to the wonderful world of extreme racing. Death Racing is something a few of us from Grande Cache have been doing for almost a decade, but we are now ready to share our extreme playground with you. You must truly have the curiosity of a cat, the constitution of an ox, and the spirit of adventure, although your friends and loved ones may have a completely different description of your mental health. The course consists of 125kms, three mountain summits and over 17,000ft of elevation change as well as the crossing of a major river at our spectacular Hell's Gates canyon at the confluence of the Smoky and Sulphur Rivers."

"Hey! What were you thinking?  Please note that this is an adventure race and the great distances between aid stations, the remoteness of the

territory, and the rough terrain will require racers to carry an adequate supply of water, food and safety equipment (see equipment check list). Be prepared for wildlife. The racers that finish the Death Race under the cutoff times will be well trained and well prepared. Plan the finish of the race from the very first steps at the race start. Take more food and water then you think you will need. This is not a 5km race with aid stations at every kilometer. This is a wilderness adventure race of epic proportions. We cannot stress enough that you have a well thought out strategy in place for making it to the end of this monster. In 2001 we took a racer off of Grande Mountain for dehydration and then on Hamel Mountain we had to rescue about 8 people for hypothermia - this is typical mountain weather so prepare yourself."

Dave Ross organized two relay teams, each team running five legs.  Each leg was of different difficulty and length, but, as friends, Dave and I were going to run the same leg.  As the organizer, Dave had first choice, and chose Leg 4: the longest and most difficult leg.  (Thanks, Dave! Actually, I would not have it any other way.)  Take a look at the elevation chart on the Web site. Dave Ross and I ran Leg 4, which is 38 km and has an elevation change of 6500 feet.  Dave and I made it slightly more than a full marathon because we ran the 5 km Ambler loop twice, sort of (racers are supposed to run it only once).  A full 26.2 mile marathon is about 42.2 km, and we ran 43 km.  In describing Leg 4, the Web site says: "Overall, the downhill is not that technical but watch your ankles as the fall will be on very unforgiving ground (read smash your melon - also re-read the waiver section about being in remote areas and not being rescued in time to prevent serious injury or death.)"

The uphill was more spectacular, though.  Leg 4 is called the Hamel Assault because the first part of the run is nothing but straight up to the top of Hamel Mountain.  In Dave's and my case, three hours of up with no flat or down! As one nears the top, the trail is even switchback!  Now, that is steep, when not even a running trail can go straight up the side of the mountain.  Of course, the first three hours are only the first part of the Leg.  Dave and I took nine hours to complete the whole thing, from 6 pm to 3 am.  We passed the computer stick and Death Coin to the two runners running Leg 5 at about 3 am.  They ran completely in the dark (we all had headlamps or flashlights, of course).  Dave and I got out our lights about 10 pm during some of the downhill, after we had passed probably two dozen racers while running downhill.  Then, many passed us as we lighted up for the night and took another food break.

Racers also had to carry their own supplies, including food and water.  For the first time, and for Dave's third or so time, we carried a hydration bag backpack.  The capacity of the one I had was about 100 oz. of water, enough for a marathon.  Also, lots of room for Race-mandatory equipment (the computer stick to record time and location, Death Coin, gloves, coat, extra batteries, insulated hat) as well as optional equipment (camera, extra headlamp, electrolytes, food, sunglasses--needed only for 3K before sun went down, small towel).  There were no aid stations on the course except at the relay stations between legs.  (Leg 4 was the only exception, with a station about Mile 13.)  Thus, if one were running only one leg, there were no aid stations except at the beginning and at the end.  (One of the rules was that there could be no stashing of food, water or gear was allowed along the course).

Dave Ross wrote an email to a small circle of friends about the race as well, which describes the race from his perspective, and which I now quote liberally: 

" Having been nervous most of the night before and that day, I was really champing at the bit to get to running.  Of course, "running" is a relative term when it came to the Hamel Assault.  It is truly amazing what a 20% up-slope that goes on for 11 kilometers feels like.  Seeing the trees shrink and fail as Win and I plodded upwards was quite an experience Ė not to mention the fact that it was getting quite a bit cooler as we passed the check station at the tree line. That, actually, proved to be a blessing, because I stopped just past the check point to put on more clothing and my rain gear.

 "Win and I reached the top just about sunset, to the sound of cow bells and cheer from the ever-present volunteers.  The run along the spine to get the "prayer flag" was unbelievably beautiful, with the entire Canadian Rockies it seemed laid out at our feet.  Two crosses on a small hill beyond the end of our trail showed the mountain could be unforgiving.

"We had turned in the flag, checked in at the second station at the top, and just started down the other side when the rain hit.  It had looked beautiful coming across the valley with the setting sun shining through it, but when it hit, it was COLD!  And quite a lot of it, with a harsh wind whipping it in my face.  There were still a few traces of snow here and there at the top, the product of a midsummer fall the day before.  We heard later that several people, caught by the squall, had to be taken off the summit with hypothermia.  [I, Win, heard there were nine hauled off.]

"We dropped below the summit just past 9:30, with an estimated hour of useable daylight left to us.  Win and I ran as long stretches as we could.  After the slog to the top, it felt wonderful to run, though the road was slippery in places.  I may be better at protracted uphill, but Win is far better at protracted downhill than I, and he rapidly pulled ahead.  As it got dark, I must have begun to catch up again because I saw him just as I was turning on my flashlights around 10:30.  We had managed to knock off six miles or so from the summit before darkness caught us, but we still had nearly half the leg distance to cover in the dark.  It was noticeably warmer down in the trees.

"A mostly gentle uphill (very muddy and the uphill was NOT appreciated) led to the Ambler Loop, a 5K loop some sadist decided we needed in the middle of the night to add distance to the leg.  Leg 4 is 38 kilometers long, four K and change short of a marathon.  Win and I had discussed adding enough distance at the end to make it up to marathon length.  Aided substantially by my stupidity in leaving my water pack (with the key we needed to check in at various stations) at the first aid station on Ambler Loop, we decided to add 5K at this point.  So, reaching the far point on Ambler, we turned around and walked (mostly) back uphill to the first station.  Needless to say, this provoked numerous questions on just what we thought we were doing, so we told all who asked that we were 1) crazy and 2) wanted to add 5 K to our leg.

"After finally completing Ambler loop, we started down the final leg of our journey, an interminable downhill slog that went on and on and on late into the chill night.  It seemed an eternity until we finally came out of the woods and back onto Highway 40, a mere two kilometers from the switchover point.  We finished up our leg without too much additional trouble and got to the handoff to leg 5 in just under 9 hours - at 3AM.  Our fastest runners, Moritz and Wolf, were on the last leg and completed the 16 or so miles in just over two hours (in the dark!). 

"The last leg had to hand a silver coin (carried in turn by all of us) to the "ferryboat man" to cross the River Styx (Har Har Har).  Believe me, we had protected that coin - losing it disqualified a team.  My real hat is off is to the 150 soloists who attempted the entire 77 miles - with three summit assaults - alone."

I highly recommend the Canadian Death Race to all of you runners, as there is a distance for everyone (shortest was 11 miles, many did two legs, and of course you can always "solo" and do the entire 77 miles).  Also, the country is spectacularly beautiful, the people are wonderful, and the entire town of Grande Cache goes all out for the race.   If anyone is interested next year, I would love to do it again.  Let me know.  Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Dubai Marathon Ė Jan. 12, 2007, Dubai, UAE

My Dubai Marathon was a miracle.  It actually began in Sept. or Oct. when I developed pain in my right knee while runningófirst about 18 miles, then 15 miles, and so forth, until it started hurting about 3 miles into any run.  Having scheduled and run three marathons in Oct. 2006 and another one in Nov., I scheduled, before the Nov. marathon, an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for three days after the marathon, knowing the knee would still hurt.  (I had no marathons in Dec.óhaving canceled both.)  Diagnosed with quadriceps tendonitis and instructed not to run for six weeks, I essentially had to not run before the Dubai Marathon on Jan. 12.  I did, though, start running again on Dec. 29 (after about 40 days), and built up to 8 miles in London on the Saturday before the Friday, Jan. 12, Dubai Marathon, and just before flying to Jordan.  On the Monday of the week before the marathon, after two days in Jordan, and after just finishing dinner at our friendsí house in Amman, I started feeling every muscle in my body ache.  I then began serious diarrhea, having severe stomach cramps, and feeling first chilled and then sweats.  In bed I could first not get warm even with clothes on, and then would break out in sweat.  I just could not sleep well at all.  On Wednesday, we had to leave Amman for Dubai, and my wife Lorrie and I arrived about midnight Wednesday evening.  I was no better.  Having skipped a couple of business meetings Thursday morning in Dubai, I was still feeling the same.  Lorrie then called the hotel house doctor, who said I had either a virus or bacterial infection, but could not say for sure without further tests.  With the marathon the next morning, he prescribed something to stop the stomach cramps and to ďstop me up.Ē  In the meantime, I had lost 20 pounds!  With the medicine, and with some liquid minerals the pharmacist recommended, I was feeling ďOKĒ the next morning at the marathon start.  However, I had lost weight, was severely dehydrated, and certainly did not carbo load.  Quite literally, I was a shell wholly incapable of running a marathon.  In fact, death would not have been a surprise.  Thus, I simply asked God to come into that shell of mine and run the marathon for me, and he did.  I was not dehydrated too much. I did not have to visit the portable toilets.  My knee did not hurt, and I ran a time (5:46) that was not  my slowest ever for a flat course.  It was a miracle that I did not do aloneóobviously.  And, right after the marathon ended, the symptoms returned.  I was not well for another 2-3 days.   Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Big Butt 50K Ė July 21, 2007, Lancaster, SC

July 21, 2007, in South Carolina was not nearly as hot and humid as it could have been, and far below normal for both measures.  Starting at 71ļ and eventually getting to 84ļ, the 23 people who finished the Big Butt 50K in Lancaster, SC, were treated with the best of race director Claude Sinclairís hospitality and the friendliest of aid station volunteers.  It was a pleasure to be there.  The run began promptly at 6 am in front of Claudeís house with a startling gun crack, was along rural blacktop and some gravel roads, and had all the (cold!) water, Gatorade and food one would want at all aid stations (meaning the trunk of the volunteersí cars).  And the weather was great for runningóovercast sky and no sun for the first 3-4 hours, and sun through clouds the rest of the way.  Finishers were treated to pizza, beer, soda and Gatorade at the end, and to a fantastic wood plaque and T-shirt featuring the name, date and mascot of the run.  Note: The T-shirt with mascot should not be worn in public.  All in all, an excellently organized road runLow key, no time limit, and wonderful Southern hospitality.   Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


Tecumseh Trail Marathon Ė Dec. 1, 2007

The Tecumseh Trail Marathon was not exceptional but for the fact that I had not run but three short times in the six weeks prior, as I had shoulder surgery on Oct. 17 and could not run.  As a result, I was most concerned about falling down (not good for shoulder) and meeting the 6.5 hour cutoff at Mile 23.  I stumbled twice, but did not fall, and met the cut off with 45-50 minutes to spare.   Once to the cutoff, I walked the rest of the way so as to minimize the possibility of falling, as the shoulder is still not healed and still hurt.

The course itself was 3500í up and 3800í down over the 26.2 miles of largely brown-leaf-covered dirt single track, with some double track, a few dirt roads, and even less two-lane blacktop.   There was perhaps one major uphill (dirt road) and a lesser uphill on the single track.  The weather was in the 30s, and the course was very runnable.  Virtually no rocks (except a few at the end), no roots, and no uneven surfaceówhich was good, considering the path was covered with leaves.  Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.


visitLittle Rock Marathon Ė March 2, 2008

There were 9000 total participants, but that may include all races.A runner died after the race, a 27-year old male from Wisconsin.Ran a 2:17 half marathon, but could not keep the pace for either a 4:40PR or a 4:53, which would have been half the time of the Psycho WyCo 50K in Kansas last month.Sun was out first part of the race but became cloudy for the last part of the race.Beginning temperature was 55 and ended at 1:00 pm, but do not know the temperature then.It was 70 degrees at 7 pm, though.Return to Apel Home Page.  Return to Winís Marathons.  Return to Top of PageReturn to List of Marathons.